Sunday, October 25, 2009

the problem with a submarine is that there's nowhere to have a decent cocktail party

The blog is going to call in Amsterdam this week. I'm going to be attending eComm, the less tiresome telecoms conference. Readers there are welcome to meet up; I'd also be interested in recommendations of anything, really, as I haven't been there since 1996, and using the various hangouts referenced in Charlie Stross novels as a guide seems to take things too far. The conference is held in an old gas works - I used to live in one in Vienna. Is there any European city that hasn't converted a chunk of disused infrastructure into something unconvincingly hip at some point between about 1985 and 2005?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For your obligatory C20th social democracy nostalgia trip, can I recommend a short sightee to Het Schipp in Westerpark? Just right for a 90-minute jaunt in between conference, food, beer, etc.

Chris Williams

kostenloser Counter