Sunday, July 31, 2011

don't listen to the doctor, dear. ignore him, then listen to the real doctor

I have to say the only surprise I found in this story was that the list of conditions GPs failed to diagnose didn't include death. "I prescribed Mr. Smith antibiotics and told him to come back in a week's time, but for some reason he wouldn't leave the surgery. Thwack...Fore! I wonder if he's still there? Anyway, hurry up, got to get back to the clubhouse in time for my afternoon pethidine bolus. Bottoms up!"

Of course, that would actually be caught by the typical diagnostic protocol the article describes - give'em a broad spectrum antibiotic, and tell'em to come back in a week. If they come back, refer'em if they insist, if they don't, repeat the prescription. If they don't come back, job done...one way or another.

This is why I stopped reading Dr. Crippen's blog - it was OK as far as it went, but after that point it turned into the Internet wing of the British Medical Association's golf committee.

No comments:

kostenloser Counter